Here are some questions you and your loved ones might wish to ask your doctor:
About the trial
• Why is this trial being done?
• Why do the doctors who designed the trial believe that the treatment being studied may be better than the standard treatment? Why may it not be better?
• How long will I be in the trial?
• What kinds of tests and treatments are involved?
• What are the possible side effects or risks of the new treatment?
• What are the possible benefits?
• How will we know if the treatment is working?
• Will a placebo be used in the trial? What percentage of participants will receive the placebo?
• Will I have to pay for any of the treatments or tests?
• What costs will my provincial health insurance cover?
• Will I have to pay for treatment for any side-effects?
• How could the trial affect my daily life?
• How often will I have to come to the hospital or clinic?
• Will I have to travel long distances to take part?
• What are my other treatment choices, including standard treatments?
• How does this trial compare with the other treatment choices?